Solid Wood Care & Maintenance
Solid wood furniture has a timeless elegance that’s hard to match, and when it is maintained well, it can last a lifetime. It’s an investment worth maintaining. Here at iMovR, we offer 36 different solid wood options for desktops. Made entirely in the USA (Michigan) from sustainable US-grown species and honest materials, these tops are a testament to American quality craftsmanship.
Each desktop is finished with a KCMA-rated waterborne sealant, both top and bottom, ensuring long life by reducing the effects of humidity changes on the wood. This low-VOC finish protects the natural wood from moisture, chemicals, abrasion and marring, while being safe for workers and the environment. By sealing the entire slab, not just the visible areas, we minimize the impact of humidity and temperature changes that can cause other wood desktops to warp over time. (Learn more about the environmentally-sensitive products we use to finish our solid wood desktops here.)
We’ve assembled these guidelines to help you clean and care for your solid wood desk for years to come.
- Use a soft cotton or microfiber cloth to dust your desk regularly. Dust that is allowed to remain on a desktop can accumulate into a filmly layer that can damage the surface over time.
- Do not use canned air to clean or dust the desktop; the propellant solvents may damage the finish under certain circumstances and cause “blush marks.”
- Any spills should be wiped up immediately. Do not allow puddles to form or sit on the desk.
- Most cleaning jobs can be accomplished with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth. After cleaning, use another soft cloth to wipe the desktop dry immediately.
- Specific cleaning tasks may call for specialized cleaners. Never use harsh chemicals, such as all-purpose cleaners, bleach, ammonia, or rubbing alcohol. Never use abrasive cleansers or pads. Look for furniture cleaners designed specifically to clean or polish wood products, and always test any new furniture cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area of the desk before committing to use it on the entire top—some can leave streaks or undesirable results.
Care & Protection
- Use coasters to prevent water-stain rings from cold drinks and heat damage from hot drinks.
- Use care with felt-backed products; the solvents in the adhesive can migrate through the felt and cause "blush marks."
- Do not place your desk in close proximity to fireplaces, radiators, or other sources of high heat.
- Keep your desk in environmentally controlled areas. The optimum environment is between 60° and 80° F and between 30% and 45% humidity.
- Use blinds or curtains on your windows to keep the desk out of direct sunlight. UV light can damage the desk’s finish.